Patients with missing teeth have struggled to smile again. And they almost automatically think about dentures as an immediate remedy to their teeth loss. They are a quick solution, however, they are temporary and are removable. The question is, are dentures the only solution to this? Is there a permanent solution to teeth loss? Thankfully, dentists have developed a permanent solution to this problem through dental implants.
What are dental implants?
It is an orthodontic procedure that surgically replaces the root of your teeth with a titanium screw. The implant is placed inside your jawbone and act as the supporting structure of your replacement teeth or crown.
Dentists often use titanium or zirconia as the main material for the root replacement. The materials used are strong and sturdy and can withstand through time.
Your Waterloo dentist offers two types of implants; zirconia and titanium dental implants. However, zirconia implants are ceramic and have more tendency to break as compared to metal roots such as titanium. Dentists recommend titanium as the main root for the implants.
Types of dental Implants
- Endosteal implant or in the bone. The dentist places the implant in the jawbone of the patient. Many patients are using this type of implant. He surgically attaches the screws, cylinders, and blades into the patient’s jawbone. These types of dental implants are often used as an alternative for patients with removable dentures or bridges.
- Subperiosteal or on the bone. The dentist surgically places the implant on top of the jawbone. As a result, the metal framework extends outside the gums which helps hold the crown of the implant. Patients who are unable to wear traditional dentures use titanium dental implants instead.
Advantages of dental implants
- Dentures have the tendency to slip within your mouth which affects the way you speak. Sliding dentures also affect how you eat. These issues are eliminated with dental implants because they fuse with your bone structure, therefore, they are securely in place. Implants help improve your overall speech.
- An implant improves the aesthetics of your teeth. The implants make you feel like you have natural teeth since they are fused with your bone. This makes them permanently attached to your jaw.
- Since titanium dental implants become part of you, it’s more comfortable cleaning and maintaining them than the removable dentures.
- With a dental implant, you can bring back your long lost smile since they are a permanent replacement to your missing teeth. Also, it takes away the feeling of doubt that it could fall out anytime like your dentures do. Implants give you the confidence to perfectly smile again.
- Durability and convenience are other advantages of implants. The titanium dental implant could last a lifetime with good oral hygiene and regular dental visits.
The dental implant cost starts at $1300 CAD. If you have an existing insurance provider, you may ask on what their coverage is for this dental procedure.
Most dentists recommend implants to improve their patients smile and make that last a lifetime. Now is the best time to say goodbye to your dentures and have that perfect smile again. Kick off your 2019 with a renewed smile and confidence!